Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Nabari No Ou Dubbed in English

Oh. My. God. I finally found the whole serie of Nabari no Ou dubbed in English! Must admit that I have been dying to know how the cast did it with the story and all. Even with my reluctance of having a Miharu with a girly voice and Yoite with a definitely male voice, I still wanted to see how they would pull it off.

So I watch it all... ALL OVER AGAIN.

Here is the link by the way. Nabari no OU Dub.

At the beginning I was like, "Meh," "Not Quite right," "Mm... Passable I suppose." About the voices of the Banton ninjas. Miharu sounded the right kind of apathetic, but I couldn't get over the DEFINITELY GIRLY VOICE. It didn't sound quite deep enough. What the crap. When they showed flashbacks of Miharu as a four year old, he sounded more as a boy then.

Yoite's voice... Well, what is not wrong with it? I mean, all who know the Yoite of the manga would consider that yeah, putting a male voice as his/hers was really not a good idea. With time though... I grew to like it to be quite honest. I guess the voice had a subtle sweet tone within it that you accept with time, and learn to love at the end. That was a big shock for me. At the end of the series I couldn't get Yoite's voice out of my head. Still hear it right now...

This brings another point though. I re-watched the whole series again, and realized this. It is never mentioned that Yoite was a hermaphrodite. We learn about his family abandoning him (? I don't know anymore -_-), how he was found on the streets bleeding, and that his real name was Sora Kodo (yes, they write it that way). Never in the anime comes the whole Yoite's inner enigma of "what am I? I am neither a he or a she; therefore, I am not Sora." For all intents and purposes Yoite in the anime IS male, and male voice is right for him/her in the anime.

Kinda shocking that I just found out right now.

Back to the dubbed anime. Re-watching the whole thing once more, brought be once again to the sweet, sweet scenes between Miharu and Yoite. At the beginning there were times when I thought they were very nicely done. But most of the time I considered Miharu to still be a little apathetic towards the whole thing. One example is when Miharu finds Yoite freezing in the middle of the street wearing nothing but the hospital clothes.

Miharu: Yoite!

Me: CUT! Darn it Miharu! With more emotions dammit! You find him unconscious, and you are afraid he might be dead!

Miharu: Fine, fine.

Yoite: Can't we just get on with it? This is the 32 shot, and I am really freezing to death here.

Me: No, Yoite. I am getting this scene, exactly as I want it to be! Now Miharu! With more emotion!!!

Miharu: *breathes deeply* YOITE!

Me: ...... Well, I guess that would do.

Yoite: Thanks god *falls unconscious*

Me: Ah, darnit. Kazuho! Medical assistance here!

From there on out, I really liked the interactions between Yoite and Miharu. I guess they started to get the 'real idea' of what was going on between these two.

And darnit! At the end I found myself to actually really like Nabari no Ou dubbed in English! Right now I find myself wanting to watch the whole thing all over again! My god, I am a big time masochist, aren't I? I guess they did a pretty good job with the English casting this time. I give a point for Funimation for that, and take 100 points for putting the anime very expensive for me. I will never forgive Funimation for that.

That is all for now! If you get a chance to see it in English dub, please do! Hopefully you get to enjoy it as much as I did.

Thank you for reading! See you all soon!

No comments: