Monday, September 9, 2013

Recommendations: Shounen ai Manga

Hello everyone! Here I am, trying to stick to my original plan to at least post something here every week. I intended to continue my thoughts and reviews for Episode 3 of Free! But I am a little... *sigh* Okay, a lot upset a the fricking sharkhole of Rei. Just wanted to smash his head to the concrete when I saw episode 7. I just don't get it! How can this angsty-show-off-good-for-nothing-waste-of-oxigen attract so many?! Can someone explain this to me?!

I better stop there, otherwise I will go on and on.

So I wanted to show here a series of links of mangas I have been collected throughout the years. I do read all types of mangas, but I have to admit that my likes rather emphasize on Shounen ai. Yes, I do enjoy a good Yaoi every now and then, but most of the time is less story and more of... Yeah...

Shounen ai it is then!

Now, the ones I shall be showing here are not just amazing stories in themselves, but also have very unique drawing styles. Two things that are huge brownie points for me.When one reads as many as I do, finding such uniqueness such as the ones I am about to show you are very rare but also extremely enjoyable. I am always happy when I get to add one to my collection. Better yet, when I get to buy it and support the mangaka to make more amazing mangas.

I shall quit my ramblings, and get on with my recommendations. I will not be putting in images of them, but I will be including a direct link to a manga site where you can read them.

1. Adekan


-  Genre(s):Action, Comedy, Historical, Martial Arts, Shounen Ai
-  Author(s):Nao Tsukiji
- Summary: Laid-back and somewhat absent-mindedly seductive umbrella craftsman Shiro (sans loincloth) and hot-blooded officer Kojiro, who stands against all things undisciplined, get involved in a bloody and erotic thrill-ride in an off-kilter town. This action packed jack-of-all-trades will have you swooning at its sexiness and leave you more addicted than opium!
 

Personal Notes: Amazing drawing skills! Simply amazing! I can't imagine how she manages to do some of the 'camera shots' she puts on her manga. Must have several models, because otherwise she is extremely talented (and proooobably a peeping tom). The story in itself is also divine, settled in ancient Japan (I think...? Never really specifies). And althought the stories can turn very dark, they always have a good turn in the end... So far... Unfortunately this is not completed (Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!).

2. Seven Days


-  Genre(s):Drama, Romance, School Life, Shounen Ai, Slice Of Life
-  Author(s):Tachibana Benio


-  Summary: From Vices and Devices: Bright and early one Monday morning, Shino Yuzuru asks Seryou Touji out on a lark when they run into each other at the school gate. Seryou, who's immensely popular, has the odd habit of going out with anyone who asks him out first at the beginning of the week, then promptly dumping them at the end of it. "Anyone" apparently includes male upperclassmen like Shino, and as a boyfriend, Seryou is perfect--unfailingly thoughtful and kind. Shino, obviously, has no intention of being in a serious relationship with Seryou. It's not like it's actually love or anything like that. ...Right?

Personal Notes: A very, very exceptional (I am going to run out of synonymous by the end of this post) story, I am glad to say. Definitely not the typical boy meets boy at school, bla bla bla. The mangaka keeps you hanging at the edge of your seat throughout the story with the thoughts and emotions of both protagonists. I also LOVE the drawing style.  The best part is that is completed AND you can purchase it online! Yay!

-  Genre(s):Comedy, Ecchi, Gender Bender, Romance, School Life, Shounen, Shounen Ai
-  Author(s):Shirase Shuu


-  Summary: Shuu Kaidou is sent away to an all boys boarding school with a very strange rule.. half the students must dress as girls!

Personal Notes: I know! I know what you are going to say! This could be taken as the typical boy dresses up as a girl, loses the Y chromosome somewhere along the way, and might as well be a girl. But, for some reason, I really like the originality of the characters personality. The most "female" of the lot turns out that is using his "charms" for a specific purpose, rather than because he likes being in a skirt. I don't know... So far I have liked where the story is going, but is still incomplete... Could still fall from my list. 

4. Wild Fangs

-  Genre(s):Adventure, Fantasy, Romance, Shounen Ai, Yaoi
-  Author(s):Yamagishi Hokuto
-  Summary: Mao, who has a rare bloodline of a beast, goes on a journey to find his brother after their grandmother dies . He then meets Syon, a bounty hunter, who is willing to help him on his search...will it become more? 

Personal Notes: I really like the concept of the werewolves and their master. Rather nice, if not short, story. I enjoyed it. My only complain is that Mao is fourteen and Syon is like... Nineteen? Seme is getting preeeeetty close to being called a pedophile... Or child molester. I don't know, this is one of the major reasons why I never enjoyed Loveless as well.

-  Genre(s):Drama, School Life, Shounen Ai, Slice Of Life
-  Author(s):Nakamura Asumiko
-  Summary: A boy met a boy. They were in the flush of youth. They were in love that felt like a dream, like sparkling soda pop.





Personal Notes: Another manga that it's drawing style is wonderful. Some people may find it kind of bothersome, how is not anatomically accurate sometimes, but it gives this originality to it that I love. The development of their story is also very enjoyable as their personalities are as different as day and night, and they struggle through teenager-hood, the future, and insecurities among themselves. A must read for me, and the best part is that there are sequels!

-  Genre(s):Drama, Historical, Psychological, Romance, Shoujo, Shounen Ai, Tragedy
-  Author(s):Jun Jin Suk




-  Summary: Everyone knows about the story of Shahrazad and her wonderful tales of the Arabian nights. For one thousand and one nights, she entertained the mad Sultan with the adventures of Aladdin, Ali Baba, Sinbad, genies, and many other mystical creatures. But what if Shahrazad was actually a boy desperate to save his sister's life? What kind of strange things would he do to make sure that he survives to tell the tale? This new twist on one of the greatest classical folk tales just might keep you awake for another One Thousand and One Nights





Personal Notes: A spin off of One Thousand and One Nights! The stories were AMAZING!!! And the main story is so beautiful! And I for one loved, LOVED the ending. This is one of those that you got to read AND buy... Like NOW. 

7. Ryuu no Yuigon
-  Genre(s):Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Shoujo, Shounen Ai, Yaoi


-  Author(s):Senju Kitasato



-  Summary: What is a horny lord to do, when the man he wants to have sex with just refuses to put out? Prostitute himself of course! Tenran is aggressive, powerful, horny, and a uke, and he oh so desperately wants to have sex with Asagi – one of his loyal subjects! Tenran has vowed to take the sweet Asagi’s virginity, only thing is, Asagi doesn’t see him that way! And that’s not all that Tenran has to contend with…other people are always after his throne, and he seems to have his hands full thwarting down competition left and right. Amidst all these, can Tenran and Asagi find happiness? Though he appears human, Asagi is actually from a long line of dragon lineage, and he can turn himself into a dragon at will. When he was little, he had heard many tales of the great and ancient Tenran from his mother. Only thing is, now that he’s grown up and is working under Tenran, he must admit that this great, ancient and powerful lord was nothing like what he had ever imagined! For one, his master looks more like a young woman than anything else; second, for someone so noble, the great Tenran seems far too occupied in having sex with him than anything else! Can Asagi keep his virginity intact, or will he fall prey to the attacks of this aggressive uke? Also, the constant threat on his master’s throne from time to time has him worried… ******************************** This series rocks my dragon-centric world. It is SERIOUSLY one of the most adorably romantic series in my collection. The art is below average, but the characters are awesome, with one of the most aggressive and powerful (not to mention horny) uke characters ever. ...And did I mention the dragons...?

Personal Notes: Don't you just love that summary? But what makes this a must-read? 5 words: Horny Powerful Uke and Dragons! (Dragon counts for two). 





-  Genre(s):Comedy, Drama, School Life, Shounen Ai


-  Author(s):Aliena Shoemaker



-  Summary: Metis is a typical not-emo emo kid. Josh is your average not-quite-jock jock. After years of not caring about each others' existence, their spheres suddenly collide when a freshly-dumped Josh punches Metis out. And then they are assigned to work on a project together. How can they possibly ignore each others' existence now? Throw in lots of different (gay) characters, complex love triangles, and a bit of underage drinking - and you've got a popular Canadian shounen-ai. Not "scanlated" per se, but available online as a webcomic.

Personal Notes: Wow! A western school life story! You almost never get one of those! (I still remember you, Off-Beat!). I think the summary says it all for me, but having something that is not centered in a Japanese setting is always welcomed in my books.

- Genre(s):Drama, Romance, Slice Of Life, Yaoi


-  Author(s):Suzuki Tsuta



-  Summary:  What if you were to meet your childhood friend again after ten years of separation? This was exactly the case for Mitsuya, a recently transferred company executive who found out that the person living three doors down from his new apartment was none other than Noboru, his older brother's best friend... and his first love. As a young and brash middle schooler, Mitsuya had forcefully kissed Noboru and drove him away. Deeply regretting his action, he kept a tight lid on his feelings. But now, being with Noboru again is bringing all those heated memories back, as if they were never gone to begin with. "Merry Checker" is adapted from this manga.

 Personal Notes: I actually thought this story was going to revolve around school life, but boy was I wrong! The evolution (?) of the protagonist school-boy crush to love was pleasurable. I loved how our rash decision in youth can affect us so far into our adult life is shown here. Specially in our love lives.


-  Genre(s):Drama, Romance, Shounen Ai, Yaoi
-  Author(s):Kawai Touko
-  Summary: [From evil-empire] About two guys who have a very "scary" meeting at a bookstore. Serizawa is your usual nice young man working at a bookstore, when one day he chances upon a strange customer. Immensely tall and intense-eyed, this stranger is a shock for Seri at first sight. That is, until upon further observation, Seri realises that the tall stranger is in reality, a painfully shy and gentle young man named Keito. As the two youths meet more and more often in the bookstore, they begin an earnest and sweet friendship.

Personal Notes: What is this?! A manga where one of the characters is not an absolutely-drop-dead gorgeous bishounen?! MINE!!!




-  Genre(s):Drama, Fantasy, Gender Bender, Romance, Shoujo, Shounen Ai, Yaoi


-  Author(s):Kim Sae Young
-  Summary: From NetComics: A pulse-quickening tale of swords and sorcery, far-away kingdoms, and the fairest princess in all the land. Except, this is a fairy tale with a twist. When a prince's soon-to-be-bride (Elena) elopes two days before their wedding, her desperate family dress up their young son (Nicole) and send him to get married in her place (with prince Jed). With his deep blue eyes and flowing blond hair (and strategically placed apples), nobody bats an eye at the pretty pubescent standing before them. But how long can he keep up the charade? Despite the odds stacked against them, the two princes share adventures and intimacies in a story filled with imagination and visual delight. But!....what would happen if the PRINCES fell in love?

Personal Notes: Wow... Just, wow.... This story is a masterpiece, and I also enjoy how different the Korean drawing style is from Japanese. I wish they would write a book about this. It is THAT good. And if you liked it too, BUY IT!



And this is it! I hope the links work okay. They are mostly going to the same site (convenient, heh?). But let me know if you are having some struggles. Hope you like them as much as I did. If you have some recommendations as well, please share them as well! I am always open to read other mangas.

Have a nice week everyone!
Ja ne  



2 comments:

ZEKI said...

Brother! *^* Oh my gosh I missed you so much!! ;// O//;
You see, I would send you messages on the PS3 butbut it takes so much time and I like typing better!! ; o ;
*HUGGLESS* Your sis missed you! ; o;

~Yoite~ said...

Hey sis! I haven't seen you (or more like read you lol) since like FOREVER! How have you been? I am still hanging out around here, thought I have seen you in the network every now and then. *hugs* I missed you too ^w^