Monday, February 27, 2012

Fanfics 411

For some reason I felt like doing this all of a sudden. I have been reading fanfics for years and years and years (gosh! I'm OLD), and of course have discovered what makes a fanfic good and bad. And I want to share some of these findings with you all, in case you ever find yourself wanting to write a fanfic of whatever. Be Nabari, be another anime/manga, a book, a tv show, etc, etc.

Here are some rules in regards to writing fanfics:

Lesson #1: Characters.

If you are going to write a fanfic of your favorite whatever, its obvious that you must know something of these characters you want to write of. A good story is enjoyable when the characters are IN character and are believable in whatever situation you are putting them in. It is unforgivable to suddenly read an author's note that says this:

So, I don't really remember the names of Miharu and Yoite, and neither do their ages, so I am just going to make them up.

Er, hello? There is a thing called Google and Wikipedia. USE IT! And you call yourself a fan...? How can't you not know this simple stuff...? I kinda understand those who write Yoite as a guy *coughs* specially if they have only seen the Anime series, BUT COME ON!

This is pretty basic, and all who read fanfics would know that it is more enjoyable when their favorite characters remain with their same unique personality, than them suddenly starting to sprout wings and dancing la macarena (and I have no idea where that came from).

A easy way to avoid this: Research.

Lesson #2: OC

Ah yes.... Original characters. Who doesn't have their own original characters that one wants them to be unique and special? And wouldn't it be awesome to suddenly start putting them in fanfics, and have them marrying of your favorite characters! NO.

It is very, very, very, very tricky putting original characters in a fanfic. Why? Because it is very, very, very, VERY difficult not making them into Mary-sues (or Gary-stues). It is okay to have one or two appear as background characters, and them having their somewhat important role in the story. But do not have them take over the story. And specially, do NOT have them paired up with your favorite characters. That's just... Egh... Because, for some reason, they end up somewhat like Bella and Edward from Twilight, and your brain turns into mush. Believe me, it does.

And I do mean that is very, very easy to make an OC into a Mary-sue. Take a look at Yoite. Has he not have been so determined to have his wish granted that he was willing to kill people, he would have ended up as a Mary-Sue. Why? Look at all his special qualities: He is a pretty boy/girl, tragic story, turns everyone around him to his side, attracts the attention of the protagonist, and has super powers (though don't know if I should really call it that...). These things in anybody else would have screamed: MARY-SUE.

An easy way to avoid this: Not use OC.

Lesson #3 Grammar:

We all would love to believe that our writing is perfect, and its going to be understood by everybody, and be loved by everybody. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. We are humans, and we do mistakes. Some big, some small. It is harder to view your own mistakes. Because, when you are reading your story, you are actually reading it from your mind, not your paper/computer. A betta would be perfect to polish your story, but they are hard to find (I would know).

But if you want your story to actually be read, then pleaaaaaase edit your story. At LEAST three times. It's actually painful when you read a story that has a lot of potential, to be completely destroyed because you find mistakes in every sentence. And not just spelling mistakes, grammar mistakes too. As I mention before, it is easy to forget one here and one there. Most of the times everybody overlooks those, and won't even notice they are there. But wehn u ar writiing like dis, that is a just biig no.

For more information please watch a video I posted last year called "The The Impotence of Proofreading"

An easy way to avoid this: Edit!

Lesson #4:

Review! Review! Review! When you come across a great story (and we can all think which ones are those), please take a little of your time and review those stories. This is a great way to first, compliment the authors on a job well done, but most importantly encourage them to write more. And we all want more! More! MOOOOAAAAAAAR!

And while you are down that road, review my stories too! 8D *smacked*

So, what to do? Review! Review! Review!

I hope they are of help. Not that I was actually trying to be helpful. I am actually being spiteful, and making fun of some stories I have read. But, hey! Killing two birds with one stone! Yeshh... Plus, it was fun.

Have a wonderful day!
Ja ne

20 comments:

Nabari-Miharu said...

Hey sorry for being dead .w.
I completely agree with you! Especially on the OC thing. It gets so fucking annoying when an OC takes over the story and you're just "STUPIDOCJUSTGOANDFUCKINGGETHITBYABUSALREADY!!!!!"

~Yoite~ said...

Nah, no problem! I was pretty dead myself XD
Kinda funny that when I was getting all nervous for one terrible exam I had on Tuesday, I see your message on my blog and made my day ^w^
I WILL KIRA ALL THOSE OCs, SPECIALLY THE MARY-SUES!!! No need to wait for the bus 8D

Nabari-Miharu said...

XD We all need to stop dying!
Awwww :'3 That makes me happy! XD <3
HORRAAAAAAY!!! FUCK THE MARY-SUES!!!!! XD

~Yoite~ said...

LOL We need to stop, indeed. Is like is fashionable to die at the moment and be forever an undead bishie with glittered skin and ever-changing colored eyes *kira'd*

XD

Ew, no. Heck NO. I got better taste than that 8D *kira'd to pieces*

Nabari-Miharu said...

XDDDDD

Oh yes~ Let's all become vampires(magical girls)~! :D *kira'd*

LET'S COVER THE WORLD IN GLITTER!!!! *kira'd straight to hell*

~Yoite~ said...

LOL Imagine that? vampire magical girls? Now that is EXTREME. Nobody could go against them! They would all melt at the sight of their glittered skin, and shining innocent moe eyes... *shivers* ><

YES, LETS. I will cover the world with their glittered bloooooooood *jumps to hell* Don't start the party yet! I am on my way! *kira'd*

Nabari-Miharu said...

Oh shit. . .What have we just invented? oAo

*fliiiies to hell* WAIT FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEE~!!!! *kira'd*

~Yoite~ said...

Oh, I know! I know! A Mary-Bella-Sue! *kira'd*

*keeps on falling* Daaaaaaaang it... How much more is this going to take.....? <w< And you would think it would be much hotter in here...

Nabari-Miharu said...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--*insert troll face*
Not much longeeeeeer!! >o<
Tehe, I would know, I live down there! XD

~Yoite~ said...

*drinking tea while falling* Oh? What? Oh! I forgot that we were still falling with how long this is taking... *starts playing solitaire (WTF?)*

I am sooooo gonna put a picture of Miharu with the troll face! XDDDDD

@w@ Is it nice down there...?

Nabari-Miharu said...

.-. *catches up to you* This fall was not as long I as I remembered. . .
XDDDDD U MAD BRO? eue
It is owo. . .Just uh. . .Don't touch the plants o-o;;;

~Yoite~ said...

YES ME ISH MAD! MUWHAHAHAHAHAHHA I have the picture, and I hate myself for doing it XDDDDDD

Plants? What's wrong with the plants? What do they do? YOU GOTTA TELL ME! My mind is giving me impossible (or perverted) images involving the plants! DX

Nabari-Miharu said...

OH SHIT!!!! XDDDD I DIDN'T THINK THAT'D YOU ACTUALLY DO IT!!!!! XDDDDDD
They. Eat. You. oAo

~Yoite~ said...

I SAID I WOULD AND I DID!!! XD

O_O
<w< Like the good kind or bad kind? *kira'd*

Nabari-Miharu said...

DAMMIT!!! XD
o-o
pfffff, what's the difference? :'D *kira'd*

~Yoite~ said...

Oh believe meeeee. When you have read as many fanfics I have done with as much craziness as some authors out there, there is a BIG difference between the good eating and the bad one.
And probably your good one is my bad one... XD

Nabari-Miharu said...

o.o lol, we gots a senpai here! 8D *kira'd*
Yeah, that is true owo;; *hasn't read fanfics in a while so I kinda forgot*
Tehe, wanna find out? eue

~Yoite~ said...

XDDDD More like I am just as crazy as them.
Owo Yeah! Me want! But only if you go first, and I get to study the discoveries 8D

Nabari-Miharu said...

XDDDDDD
pff, right eue I am no experiment, sir!

~Yoite~ said...

It's all in the name of science! Or do you suggest I go first....? o_O
>w> It was your idea after all!