Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Magical Diary A.K.A. if Harry Potter had been a girl...

Wow! just wow! I cannot believe a year has gone by since the last time I have been on the blog. I really apologize for the silence. So much to do, and times just flies so fast...

Anyway, many things have been going on. The same old, same old. I won't bore you with the details. But lately my latest hobbies have been video games (no surprise there), anime, manga and reading (nothing new there again, so why am I mentioning them again?).

The thing with videogames is, I have been kinda obsessed with a specific genre of videogames.... Mainly dating sim videogames...

Now that is a shocker. I feel like Fuuma...

To be honest, I kinda stumbled across them by accident. I will say that I had already played dating sim videogame before, as Persona 3 is kinda of one. But I didn't play it with the intention of actually experiencing the "dating" part, but more the RPG and fighting part.

In these new games though... The first one I came across was this computer game called Magical Diary.

The first time I saw the preview video, it was so cheesy I had a gagging reflex for like 5 minutes, and I completely erased the experience from my mind. The second time thought... What appealed to me was the part of you going to a "magical school to learn spells." I am a big Harry Potter fan, and I just couldn't past the opportunity. So I bought the game... Shame on me... To actually find out that I really liked it...

It kinda goes like this.

You create your own main character (a girl), that by default her name is Mary Sue (I KNOW!). Of course my character was looking very boyish because it bothered me that they wouldn't allow me to select which sex I wanted to be. You are "sorted" in the Horse Hall *cough*Hupplepuff*cough*, and start your new life as a witch in this wizard school, learning spells, having test with exciting challenges. And the fun begins.

I was really amazed by how open they are in allowing your character to chose your "paths" and see who you wanted to end up with. I thought that, because my character was a girl, I would only end up with boys as my boyfriends or something. Turns out I was wrong! They actually give you a variety of characters to choose from. From roommate, seniors, up to teachers and crossbreeds (wait, what?).

SPOILERS!!! From here on there are big, big spoilers of the game. No likey, no lookey. 

I will start with the guys.

The most easy one to pick is a senior demon (?) from Falcon Hall *cough*Slytherin*cough* whose name is Damien Ramsey. Actually, it is more difficult to avoid his path than is to complete it. Practically the game throws the guy to you to fall head over heels for. Obviously, it was pretty much the first one I ended up with when I finished the game. Pretty entertaining story. A high breed demon who supposedly has no weakness, and was supposed to have taken your soul to be proclaimed prince of his kingdom. But at the end he couldn't do it because he loves you very much bla bla bla...

The next one you can pick is a guy who is a year ahead of you named Donald Danson from Wolf Hall *cough*Gryffindor*cough*. He is the brother of one of your roommates and a troublemaker. At the beginning you meet him through your roommate, and if you had encountered detentions (with Snape, no seriously, you have them with Snape), you realize that every Saturday he has detention for doing pranks. As you get to know him, you realize that he only wants to be acknowledged by the family as his older brother is like bloody perfect, and the little sister is always sick and crying for attention (or something like that). It also goes very typical that as he starts to kinda court you, he also starts doing less and less pranks, and starts to actually be serious with his studies. Bunch of crap...

The last one I believe is the most interesting one. He is a professor of Blue and Red magic, and his name is Hieronymous Grabiner (what the heck is with that name?!). No, no, wait. I am not done. He is a British, snobbish, highly insulting teacher with black hair, black eyes and a cape (starting to sound familiar?). I am talking of none other than Professor Snape's doppelganger. The creators of the videogame actually admitted to have been inspired by the popular teacher, and I guess they have always wanted to know what it would have been like if they have dated him as a student... Sort of... You can start on his path if you are elected as the Treasurer of your generation. You slowly start having more interaction with him. Until one day you find him unconscious on the floor inside a circular ritual, with a big blue demon on top of him telling you he is about to be devoured. So, what do you do? Save the day! NOT... You run to the professor, crossing the circular ritual, and suddenly the demon starts sucking your life energy. The director of the school appears, and proclaims you as part of the house of Grabiner, and that you were about to be married to the professor. The demon lets you go, but then they have to follow the 'promise' and within 24 hours you are married to Professor Grabiner. Best fanfic ever (because if feels like one).

This story was much more interesting to me than any of the other boys, as his character is much more amusing to interact with. Who doesn't like to be insulted 24/7?

The girls... Well... You can also end up dating the two of your roommates (not at the same time, though!), and they kinda have their deep story to go along with. I don't really know if I have the energy to go over them. I was mostly surprised that you would get GL out of this game. Where is the BL then?! Fortunately we have been informed that a second game is coming out, they have finally found an illustrtator for the game, and the main character is going to be a boy this time from Wolf Hall (I think...). I can't hardly wait! I hope they are as openminded in the second game as they were with this one. It would totally SUCK otherwise...

That is for today! I have to admit that I have many other things to talk about. Other dating sim games I really need to share with you guys. I will probably be going over the new highly popular anime series Free as their episodes are definitely worth talking about...

Sorry again for the long wait. Hope this time I stick around for a while!
Ja ne.

No comments: