Monday, November 16, 2009

Brought Back into the Cycle again...

This is a big spoiler for the game of Shadow of the Colossus? So if you don't want to be spoiled, don't read.

My friends has been hooked up lately with a computer video game they bought a while ago ( kinda forgot that they had it, so... Yeah...). Me, not having anything else to do, got back to my video games too, and decided to finish up ones that I had already advanced on.

That day I decided to finish Shadow of the Colossus. I started this game a few years back when one of my friends go it, and was too scared to actually play it. Thing I didn't get was that she was able to fight bloodied zombies and terrifying monsters, but too scared to climb up giants.

Big "HUH?" was my reaction too.

When I came over to her house, she asked me of I could play it. I was like "sure! bring it on!" and started playing. The story goes more or less like this.

This... boy is riding his horse towards this empty and very big lands with a big brown bag. He is riding, and riding, and riding (very beautiful scenery) when he arrives to a forgotten and deserted temple. There he puts the package (who turns out to be a girl) on a shrine inside the temple. A big deep voice starts talking, and says what was his purpose there. The voice (or god) figures out that the man wants to revive the girl, because she was sacrificed for having a cursed life. The god the tells that he need a special weapon to do this. The boy shows up a very shiny (shiny!) sword, and the god finally agrees to a bargain. The bargain is that the boy must defeat 16 giants in exchange for the girl's life. He warns him though that the price might be too high for this exchange. The boy still agrees.

And it starts. One by one the god starts pointing out the giants. The boy must find them within these lands, and defeat them using the sword.

This is where I come in.

They were already with the first giant (formed by vegetation and rocks), so they kinda had to guide me how to jump, avoid, stab, and all the sort of things they teach you in the tutorial (which I missed). Then the puzzle comes which is figuring out where the weak point is in the body of the giant, go there, and stab it with the sword. On the first one you had to climb (with their big hairy body XD) your way up to the head, and start stabbing as much as you can.

I defeated it pretty quickly, and the giant falls down to a pile of rocks. Then a black essence comes from the giant, and goes directly into the boy's body. It hurt... A lot. We figured that the boy's future didn't look very promising.

He appears back into the temple, and goes to find the second giant.

Pretty simple, no? No complicated story-lines, beautiful graphics, and puzzles complicated enough that made this game worthwhile. With my friend I got the opportunity of killing 6 giants before I had to go back to my home. That was the end of that game for me.

A couple of years later I find it on sale on a store, and decided to finish it on my own. That way I can see the ending of the game. I kinda had my theories, so I wanted to know if I was right or not. My theory was that he will defeat all the giants, revive the girl, die, and at the end become the 17's giant of the temple.

Yes, I am a pessimist.

So, I started over again. Very frustrating game at times (had to go to walkthrough on the later giants to figure out the puzzle), but entertaining (and stubborn myself) enough to reach the end.

Oh, and what an end...

Throughout the game you kinda get attached to the boy (or at least I did). Doing so much for the sake of reviving the girl, right? You can see how the more giants he killed, the less "alive" he looked on the game (had big big flashbacks to Yoite). When he killed the 16's giant, he was pretty much dead, but was brought back to the temple despise that.

A little before he appeared though, a group of people arrive to the temple. They knew about the stolen sword, and that someone was messing around in the forbidden lands. They saw the girl's body, and suddenly the boy appears in the temple. They saw him, and said that he was being possessed by the spirits of the death (another flashback). They kill him. Then the dead body starts being covered in black, and starts growing and growing into the body of the giant.

The god starts talking about borrowing the boy's body, and reunite all his 16's pieces after being separated and sealed for so long. The people were terrified, and decided to reseal him once more. The god tries to stop them, but they did the purification... Something... and a vortex appears in the temple. Because of the vortex the body starts growing smaller again, until you see the body of the boy just being covered in black. The... spirit? (combination of the boy and the god) tries to stop being sucked by the vortex, but fails miserably.

The people ran away as fast as they can while destroying the way to reach the forbidden lands once and for all. THEN the girl awakens, and starts looking around very calmly.

Emm... Calmly?

I don't know about you guys, but if I didn't recognize where I was, I would be a little freaked out? Worried? Wondering how I got there?

Anyway, she sees the horse of the boy... And there is nothing. NOTHING! No recognition of the horse! Meaning that the girl DIDN'T know the boy, so she DIDN'T know the big sacrifice that he did to save her! I felt so sad for the boy... Talking about being forgotten *sees Yoite.*

She starts wondering through the temple, and (where the vortex was) sees a baby with horns there on the floor. I figured that he was "purified," and brought back to life by becoming a baby. I don't know if that makes me happy or sad. Haven't decided yet...

And she stays there in the forbidden land, raising a kid with horns. The ending didn't dissatisfied me, but I had a lot of mixed feelings about the boy. Throughout the whole game you NEVER find out what is his name. He is stabbed, killed, possessed, sucked, and disappeared. I refuse to believe that he will be back, just because he was transformed to a baby. He won't. He will never be the SAME AGAIN.

This, along with my mixed feelings about Yoite in the manga, put me right back again into the angst I just left. GOD! Will all my favorite characters will be forgotten and DIE? What do you have against meeeeee!!! Whyyyyyyy!!!!!!

So yeah, that is all my rant for today.

Thanks for reading! Ja ne!

No comments: